Testing Ltd Part of the 'UKBC Group'
Building Testing & Certification Specialists | Call: 01455 634 855

Sound Insulation Testing

L1 Testing are registered to undertake Sound Insulation Testing with UKAS.

Get in touch for a same-day quick quote

Sound insulation testing measures how much noise will travel through a building’s fabric.

If you are undertaking a new development, you will need to make sure there isn’t too much noise travelling through the walls, floors or ceilings of the building.

Who needs a Sound Insulation Test?

To make sure that your building complies with Part E of The Building Regulations, testing will need to be carried out if:

  • It is new development contains more than one dwelling, like a block of flats.
  • If you are converting a house or commercial building into flats.
  • You are building a large property for use as a residential home, such as a hotel or nursing home.
  • Your building does not have ‘robust details’, which are materials that have been shown to provide effective acoustic insulation.

Types of Sound Insulation Test

Sound Insulation Tests comprise two stages. Both of these processes help to effectively determine the level of sound insulation in a property.

Airborne Testing:

Our technicians will use a loudspeaker and amplifier to create a number of different frequencies. Next, we’ll record the number of decibels in the room containing the loudspeaker, as well as in an adjoining room. We then compare these readings to measure how much noise travels through the party walls.

Impact Testing:

A machine with five metal hammers bangs the party floors to mimic the sound of footsteps. Our technicians will then use a sound level meter to measure how much noise this creates in a neighbouring property.

We can help!

We will guide you through the entire process. Free advice and support is included in our service to make sure that your project passes.

Get in touch or check out our other services below!

© 2007 - 2020 L1 Testing Limited